my creative pursuits with quilts and knits

Posts tagged ‘Drunkard’s Path block’


Okay, I have to confess a minor bout of “start-it is.”I have never been a monogamous crafter…I have dozens of projects laying about, so I have plenty to choose from when I get time to hide away in the sewing room.  But, it is getting a bit overwhelming to have four quilts in rotation.  I may have to put something in time out just to make space on the table!

First up are some grey and white Drunkard’s Path blocks for a secret project.  I was intimidated by sewing curves, but my mom told me the trick is to keep the arch of white fabric puffed up, with just the seam allowance flat along the curved arc of the grey fabric.  And that is working beautifully, yay!image

My second project is bead blocks for the February Block Lotto group.  I made three in the yellow-orange-maroon colors for the exchange, then made these in patriotic colors for the Mod Mod QAL that Sophie is hosting this year.  I need to go back and finish the January chevrons…I need 4 of those for a twin size quilt, and 10 of the beads.


I have my basket of squares ready and when I get to the end of chain piecing for a different project, I reach for one of these blocks.  imageI am using 2-1/2″ squares, so these blocks finish at 6 inches.  I will need at least 120 bl0cks to make it QOV size.  I will be satisfied if I have enough for a top by the end of the year!

And some progress on the Star Light Star Bright QAL: imageFlying Geese on the left and 1/4th of the required half square triangles on the right.  Last week’s assignment was over 300 HSTs!!  There was no way I could get that done.  I haven’t even peeked at this week’s directions, but I think we have enough units to make a whole star block.  image

I decided to swap out one fabric.  The “Mardi Gras” colors in the top piece were not playing well with my other fabrics.  Each star will have two main colors and an accent plus the background which is that tan fabric shown above.  Yes, I cut all the pieces, and paired the groups of three for the star blocks, then decided it just wasn’t working, so I found that tonal purple in my stash.  I cut the purple squares to make HSTs, then as needed I will replace the other sections.

Wow, looking at all of these fun projects makes me itch to start sewing right this minute!  Let’s see if I still have that inspiration after my daughter’s bedtime routine…


Tag Cloud